Want To Start Painting As A Hobby? Read this.
Have you always loved the idea of drawing & painting? Have you dreamt of setting up somewhere beautiful with your watercolour set - watching the world go by whilst listening to inspiring music on your earphones? Go for it, it's all yours and here are some tips to get you started.
1. Remember you are not there to make masterpieces, you are there to enjoy the process.
2. Give yourself time to learn and allow yourself make mistakes. DON'T LET YOUR INNER CRITIC STOP YOU AT THE FIRST HURDLE. Simply thank it for trying to protect you and move on.
3. Don't go to the art shop and buy everything you think you might possibly need. Begin simply, a nice pad of paper and a pencil will do to get you going.
4. Do you have any unused makeup in your house? Perfect, dig it out and put it in your bag to take with you. Play about with them on your paper, you can get some marvellous effects, remember you are there to try things out.
5. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, go somewhere locally that doesn't take you ages to drive/walk to. A view out of your window is a good a place to start as any.
6. One of the things I learned at art school was that because you had made a piece of work that you quite like, you can do it again, exactly the same. Try making two works of the same thing - this shows you that you can do it if you have to. A powerful revelation when thinking that you have 'overdone' a drawing or painting you worked hard on.
7. Try showing your drawing or painting to a friend or loved one. This is never easy to do but it gives you some accountability and hopefully some encouragement to do more. If they laugh, get new friends.
I hope my tips help. It's never easy to start something new and your confidence will grow as you practise I promise. There are some wonderful groups around, leisure learning programmes at your local colleges and even your GP will be able soon to socially prescribe you some classes (hurray)
Enjoy Samantha .
I'd love to hear how you get on. I'm opening a FREE ART CLUB on facebook called 'CAN DO ART CLUB' which will be a community of others that want to get started doing something creative. In the group, I'm going to be suggesting projects and encouraging you to do something, anything creative. I'd love you to join us. To sign up, click here or email me at email@example.com to find out more.
If you would like to join my emailing list, please find the form below. Sam